Thursday, March 20, 2008

Miracles Happen

Everyone talks about the depression in the housing market. If you turn on the news they will report about the growing numbers of foreclosures. However, until you sit down with a real estate agent you don’t completely internalize the severity of it all. That was our lot last Tuesday as the gravity of our situation settled in the pit of our stomach. We came to realize there was a foreclosure 4 houses to the right that was listed very low, and another about 7 houses to the left that just sold even lower. Those two houses were on my street, and that did not take into account the other foreclosures in my neighborhood!

We were soon faced with the fact that we were not going to be able to list our house at the price we thought. But, that was not even the bad news. The truth was that it would be a miracle if we could sell at all. There are so many houses on the market and new foreclosures coming up everyday. In fact the senior agent in their agency had not sold a house that was not a foreclosure in 3 months. Things looked grim.

Mark and I went to the temple that night to get a good perspective. I felt strongly to let go of the shock of the market. My husband, kids, and faith were all strong and that is what mattered, just let the rest go. Mark felt impressed to list it at a price much lower than we had hoped, yet higher than what our agent had recommended. We got home late and called her right away.

She was going to be out of town for one day, however, we felt like we should not wait. The next day her assistant came over for us to sign the papers and get the process started. On Thursday morning our home was listed on the MLS. By 10AM I had 3 families scheduled to walk through the home that day. The last family walked through the house 2 times. They brought their dad back through it. We pulled up as they were leaving and their agent told us they were meeting that night to draw up an offer!

The next morning I got a phone call from my agent we not only had one offer but two offers on the table. Both parties were reconsidering to make sure they brought their best offer to the table. That night our agent presented us with two offers. Because of the multiple offers we got exactly what we asked for, and they did not request for us to pay their closing cost!

Our agent’s assistant pulled her aside before she came to our house and said, “This never happens!”

All I can say is God lives, He hears our prayers, and miracles happen!!

On a side note the senior agent made a deal with my kids. He said if every time someone walked through the house and their rooms were clean, when the house sold he would pay them $10 at the closing. The first thing Sarah said when she knew we sold the house, “Yes, I get $10!”

9 comments:

Trevor and Brooke said...

I'm so happy for you guys! Does this mean you will be moving up here even sooner? Keep us posted. It really is a miracle - you must be doing something right!

Kristin said...

Amber congratulations! We are so happy that your home sold! You are such a great example to us, we love you!

Nana said...

This was such a miracle...You and you family are my miracle.
We can't wait for you to get up here, can't wait to see you all at Sarah's baptism. You should see her pictures that Lori took!

Craig and Jessica Smith said...

Yeah Amber! That means you will be here in Utah very soon! I am so happy for you and like Brooke said, you must be living right! We can't wait for you to be here and now our girls night out will be even more fun! Love you!

emily said...

Amber I love that everyone keeps saying that this never happens because it makes me feel a little better about not selling Heather's house, because you're right, it NEVER happens and we are so excited about having you closer and can't believe that it is true. I love you and am so excited to have you move to Utah!

Katie said...

Sorry this comment is so late - but I am just so happy for you guys! I'm sad you won't be by my mom anymore but I know you guys will be so happy in Utah too! Congrats again. You are such a great example to me.

Kristen said...

Hey Amber! It's Kristen Eddington. I am so excited for you guys to move up to Utah! Hopefully we will be able to see each other more! If you need anything let me know!

tiffunny said...

Amber,

I was blog surfing today and saw the name Coglianese and figured that wasn't too common of a name - and lo and behold, it was you guys. You probably don't remember me, but my Madyson and your Madison were best of friends in 2nd grade at AHA. I think we both stopped going there the next year so the girls never got together again. Anyways, hope all is well with you and your family - your house story from a few months back is AMAZING - that isn't too common of a story for the market these days! How awesome for you guys! Where are you moving to? Anyways, if you want to see my blog, click on my name and it should have my email address where you can email me!

Tiffany Skelton (Maddy's mom)

Ashley said...

Hey Amber, hope that you are having fun in Utah. We are happy to have you here. We will get together this summer for sure. Hope you find a great house. I need to pick your brain and learn all of your mommy skills! Thanks for the great words of encouragement when it comes to hanging in there with a crying baby. You are a sweetie!